Monday, February 11, 2013

Rhythm & Blues Half Marathon (February 2013)


When did the day come when I am comfortable signing up for a half-marathon two days prior and being wholly unconcerned with the possibility of not finishing?  These races are the ones that remind me of the progress I've made in my running in the past two years.  

My Mom told me she planned to run the Rhythm and Blues Half Marathon on Sunday, February 10, but she was running solo.  Knowing I wasn't entirely comfortable with this idea, she offered to register me for the race and we'd make a mother-daughter morning of it.  

We wiled away the minutes before the race shielding each other from the wind and threat of rain, gossiping and people watching.  We'd agreed beforehand we would not and should not run together.  We aren't that kind of mother-daughter team:  do your own thing, I'll see you later.  That's us. 

So, the gun went off and so did we.  Three loops up and down Allen Parkway with a slight detour into Downtown Houston.  Loops, how I loathe thee.  They are mentally challenging, monotonous, and awkward.  Where's the imagination?  There is none.  I've seen that building five times now.  Where am I actually running to?  Right back to this point for the third time.  

Up until the morning of this half-marathon, I'd been battling some GI issues of an unknown source.  Thankfully, they seemed to stave off during the morning hours and leave me free to log some miles.  At the same time, I was incredibly dehydrated and didn't realize it until I was starting the second loop of three, finding myself doubled over with a cramp.  "Take it easy! Keep running, you're doing just fine!," one spectator reassured me.  I have to admit, the arrogant ultra-runner in me wanted to throw a number of expletives his way.  Instead, I tried to control the irritation in my voice at bay as I said, "Yeah!  I'm doing fine!"

On top of the dehydration, the day offered incredible humidity.  This simply exacerbated my dehydration as I lost more fluids than usual.  As a result, I felt incredibly sluggish.  In fact, I felt as though I were running with concrete blocks on my feet.

But, I kept going.  I wanted a finish.  I wanted a medal.  And I wanted to call this weekend a success.  So, I kept moving.  I people watched as the miles ticked by.  I watched the first loop come and go, then the second, and finally the third began.  Slog, step, slog, step, slog, step.  Onward and forward.  My mental strategies were going in full force:  relentless forward progress.  Just keep moving.  Everything is temporary.  Imagine the finish.  Kick it, kick it, just kick it.

I'll say this wasn't the most difficult half marathon I have done, but I will say it was a surprising challenge.  It also was a very satisfying finish because, in spite of my feeling of slog and slug, I finally broke the sub-2:00 goal for a half-marathon finish (1:55:49)!  I also finished eighth in my age group, out of about ninety-two!  I'll take it.  

Rhythm & Blues Half-Marathon
Houston, Texas
1:55:49 

No comments:

Post a Comment